The LMY Community Connection
Everything you need to know about what's going on at your Y!
Through My Four Eyes: The Peacefulness of a Pool
Over the past few weeks, I have been spending a lot of time in the pool area. It’s true that we’ve had a shortage of lifeguards, but this gives me an opportunity to re-connect with kids, families, lap swimmers and others that use our pool for fitness or recreation.
As busy as our pool gets with Day Camp, aerobics classes, and multitude of families, it always amazes me how quiet and peaceful it is on weekend mornings. So this past Sunday morning as I was waiting for swimmers, I thought of a few tips that I wanted to share.
Here are a few things you can do to have a better experience in the YMCA pool.
- Get to know the lifeguard. They are here to keep you safe and monitor the many uses and users of the pool. Ask questions. Share comments. Let them know about your experience at the pool. Did you know that one of the lifeguards is going to school to be a paramedic?
- If you like a quiet pool for swimming laps or exercising, I would avoid week day afternoons. Open swim starts at noon each day and the Y Day Camp fills the place with tons of energy and excitement.
- At least 2 lap lanes are available at all times in the Y Pool.
- We have swimming lessons for all ages.
- We aim for a temperature of 84.5 degrees. This is a compromise between lap swimmers, water aerobics classes, and youth swim lessons.
Enjoy the pool, be safe and remember our 4 character values: respect, responsibility, honesty, and caring.